Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity Numbers?"

MN....the numbers that you're shooting for will get interest. 90 on exit velocity is very good for s 2020.    85+ on the mound with a couple secondary pitches will get him noticed.  I wouldn't worry about the IF velo....my son regularly threw 90 as a HS senior...and was also our starting SS...he never threw 85 across the IF.....80+ was good enough for anyone who was looking at him.   I can tell you based on my experience....son was all state SS with a good bat (4 HR's senior year...2 K's) who hit .475 against pretty good competition and also a RHP who as I said was 88-90 by the time he graduated.....that going into showcases expecting to do great on the mound and the IF is tough.  Son did both and it always seemed like if he had a great BP and IF that he didn't throw good.  If he threw good, he didn't hit well.  It's a pretty hectic day trying to do everything at a showcase...and worry about doing everything well.  The likeihood of playing both ways in college is very slim....make sure your son is prepared for this.  My son had 2 schools recruiting him as an IF and 2 as a pitcher.  He eventually chose pitcher (though now as a junior, he may get to DH in the spring).