Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity Numbers?"

MNBaseballGuy posted:

Buckeye - Thanks for the response, great information.  We have been talking to folks (as I mentioned above) and agreed that right now he projects as being an IF in college.  Although we all stated that if he comes back next season after working his butt off and throws 87+, pitcher might be in the cards.  For the 2 showcases we are going to do this spring, we will try to do both.  But I will prepare him for the hectic day he has in front of him.....

Welcome to the site.  That's a good starting plan. 

There is another thread going on currently that touches on measurables.  Your son's are fine but the bigger question is... what is he able to do with it?  With that good exit velo, is he able to barrel balls consistently against good pitching?  With that decent throwing velo, can he pitch?  Is he fluid in the field?  Etc., etc.  Your travel coach is much better suited to answer those questions because he sees your son's whole game regularly.

I understand the "feels weird" remark about a sophomore who hasn't played HS varsity yet but if he is playing decent travel ball with HS age kids, that can be enough of an indicator.  Both HS and travel ball vary WIDELY so you can't really associate recruiting readiness with whether he played one or the other yet.  You will be very glad you found this place.

Last edited by cabbagedad