Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity Numbers?"

MNBaseballGuy posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:
MNBaseballGuy posted:

Size is his major down fall (in my opinion).  He is 5'10" 165lbs.  Dr. said he would be around 6', but he has not grown in a while.  He plays on the top club in our area, but on the 2nd team.  He has won MVP on that team for the past 2 seasons.

Over the course of my son's HS career we played with two kids that sound similar to your son, 5-10ish and 170ish. One at TB and the other HS. Both were very good players. Both MIF. Very, very good defensive players and no slouches at the plate. Good grades also. One went NAIA and the other DII. Neither received any attention from DI, at least not any they were interested in.

I knew size played a role in the process but to see these two passed over was really eye opening. I've said it before, if you were 6-4, left handed, and ran a 6.5 you could fail in every way on the diamond and someone would still give you a chance.

Not trying to be a party pooper but it is what it is. 

SomeBaseballDad - You're not being a party pooper, you're being honest.  I get that size is something that is very important at the next level.  And that might be his reality.  But for now, he is focusing on things he can control....  and working hard at it.  Where ever that takes him, it takes him.

I've seen plenty of MIF's that are 5/10-11 and 175ish lbs get attention and recruited by D1's.  It's also a matter of: is that particular D1 of interest to you?  Lots of D1's out there, and you've got to be looking for the right fit.  Chance to actually play, campus size and location, money offered, good fit as a student.....

In a competitive game against advanced pitching, if the 5'10 kid is making plays, stealing bases, and hitting it hard, the college coach isn't paying attention to the 6'2 MIF just because he's 6'2.  This is where it benefits the smaller player to be playing on a top team against top competition so he'll satisfy the college coach optics test.

I've also never heard of 5'10 being small in baseball.