Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity or command"

ok so what???  We have a tiny school of just over 600 kids and we have three documented over 87mph and another one or two pushing mid 80's.  And guess what?  All three of those 87+ kids will go D1.  So whats your point?  The 83-85 kids will have a place for them AT A LEVEL LOWER THAN D1 if they choose to pursue it.  Kids throwing 83 may be a dime a dozen the way you define that term.  But after the smoke clears and the big mph kids go D1 and many others in that 83-85 range just decide to move on with their lives and not play college baseball all the sudden there is demand at the small college level for those guys.  All you have to do is take your pocket radar to a local D3 game.  Find out for yourself.  Even the best of the best D3's have guys cruising just over 80.  And I have verified it with my own eyes at Wisconsin Whitewater games.  I just don't know how this myth keeps getting perpetuated that you cant pitch in college if you are not pushing 90.  Truth is I have gunned kids cruising in the 70's on bad D3 teams.  And yes believe it or not there might just be a kid who barely scrapes up against 80 who just loves playing and is ok playing for that bad D3 team.  Maybe its just plain fun.  Lets be careful not to be so elitist that we look down our noses at that kid.