Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity or command"

2020dad posted:

HS average velocity would be well below 83-85 or even just 83.  Again most people on here are familiar with higher levels.  There are entire varsity pitching staffs all over the country who don't have a kid over 83.

I agree with you 2020dad as far as average HS velo would be well below 83. 

My point was in regards to large HS, very competitive divisions.  Schools with top D1 prospects that have verified 90+ speeds posted online.  What I have found is their game speed is much less than top speed.  The guy that threw 91 at a showcase is probably sitting at 86-87 in a game.  

I watched a sophomore in the playoffs who has committed to a top 10 D1 school sitting 82 in the game.  This prospect has documented 87 in showcases, but his game speed was 82 that day.  By the way, there were multiple scouts gunning this kid, so it was easy to verify.  

We try and compare our kids to schools that might fit right?  I am as guilty as the next guy,  when we see a kid doing well at a mid D1 school throwing 88 in a game.  We think wow, my kid is not that far off.  He touched 85 yesterday in his bullpen.  This is attainable.  The reality is that D1 kid can run it up to 92-93 in a max effort throw.  He has dialed it down to 88 for maximum control and velocity.  When he is feeling it he might let one go during a game and hit 90.  

Again numbers get thrown around like they are in the same bucket.  Max velocity and game velocity are two completely different numbers.  A starter geared to throw a chunk of innings at 90 mph can probably throw a few max effort throws around 95.