Skip to main content

Reply to "Velocity vs. accuracy for young pitchers."

quote:
osti

quote:
Originally posted by Swampboy:
Obviously you don't know a great deal about experimental design. I assure you that any database you constructed in less than a minute would not satisfactorily test a research hypothesis.

Your position is, there’s nothing that can be learned from only having a player ID, a date, and the number of pitches, and I’m telling you that’s a heck of a lot of data that anyone caring to investigate it would find a great deal of information. If nothing else, knowing how many pitches were thrown by every pitcher and how much rest he had would certainly interest a lot of people I know because it would establish once and for all if there really was a lot of overuse/abuse.

As I said before, all those other factors would be wonderful to have, but until its established once and for all that there is a problem, getting people to submit the data would be sketchy at best. Heck, I can think of 15-20 other factors I like to have in addition to the big 3, but that’s wishing for a Bugatti Veyron on a Nissan Versa budget. One step at a time with things like this would give researchers time to think about what other info would be of the most benefit.