Skip to main content

Reply to "Venting...When is it a must swing...tough start to a season!"

Big Taco posted:

If only the kid had swung at that 3-1 pitch and hit it. This thread would be non-existent.... My son had a game last night, bottom of the 7th, bases loaded, down by 3. He hits a liner down the line for a double scoring 2. The problem is the weather has been cool and wet causing the grass to grow very fast. The outfield grass was tall and slowed the ball down. He was robbed of a game tying triple due to the length of grass. Should I have called the parks department the day before to ask them to mow the grass? The triple would have helped both the team and his own stats. 

Call the day before?  Heck no - that would be something along the lines of preparing ahead of time.  What you need to do is complain - after the fact - that your son got robbed of the headlines and maybe some recruiting exposure.  That way, if things don't turn out exactly how you like a few years down the road, you can always point to that "miserable field that hadn't been cut in 2 weeks" (don't make mention of any possible benefit to your son's team resulting from that same tall grass).  I know it sounds like a weak excuse for things not panning out, but better to have a weak excuse then none at all.