Skip to main content

Reply to "Verbal Offers - Will money be pulled back?"

Danj,

I don't think anybody knows how all of these college athletic funding issues are going to be resolved or modified.   What I have learned in my 10 years on this website is that almost always when a college coach makes an offer that is exactly what happens (academically and financially) in normal times.   There have been some notable exceptions and extreme cases but that has been the overwhelming theme...what is promised is what is delivered.   I have always 100% suggested that folks have a Plan B until that NLI or Admissions Letter is in hand.   Some have called that over the top or paranoid, but I stand by that advice because it is your only leverage should a coach change his mind, leave the college, get run over by a beer truck, or have Admissions changes their mind even after an approved pre-read.  You can't change college athletic funding and recruiting but you can change your approach with or without a pandemic.   

Ten years ago when there was no pandemic, my son "kept in touch" for months with a couple coaches that were his #2 and #3 picks after he committed to #1.   Nobody had a problem with it, and everybody knew he was verbally committed and why (it had nothing to do with baseball) because he told them how they were stack ranked.  All three college choices have low admission rates and are need based financial aid, however other schools offering athletic scholarships were about the same price tag..  For us, choosing a college was a major life decision and required financial planning.   Coaches recruit everyday and make many offers routinely.   The recruit really only gets one shot at this.   I was not about to let a coaches verbal promise dictate my son's future and my wallet without having options-at-the-ready.      

As always, JMO.  Good luck!