Skip to main content

Reply to "Verbal versus admitted"

What you're touching on is one pillar of the "right fit" criteria that we outlined during the recruiting process.  There were three schools in particular that were very interested in my son that were very high academic schools with stringent admissions.  Stanford, Vandy and Notre Dame.  Realistically, I knew that my son would struggle immensely with admissions, and even more once in the schools.  I didn't believe that any of these would be a good fit for my son academically and that any struggles in the classroom would carry over onto the field.

What good would it do him to be at a school where he would be miserable.

All amazing opportunities for the right student, but being completely honest with ourselves, we knew he wasn't the right student.

We were fortunate that he had many great opportunities in addition to those, so we sought the best fit overall, considering academics, campus life, baseball program, facilities, potential to contribute early, offer, etc., etc.

Make sure you have a list of considerations of all the above elements and choose the place that will best suit him.  One RC told us during a visit that you really need to love the school.  He pointed the the baseball field and said that you're going to have days where you hate it out there and want to get away from the field.  If you step out of the stadium onto a campus that you also don't like, you're not going to enjoy your time there.  Make sure you are building the checklist of what's important for your son at the next level and begin checking off the boxes.

Last edited by Nuke83