Skip to main content

Reply to "Verbal versus admitted"

A few comments here....

1. Prepster's comments so spot-on...I just don't see how to improve on them.
  2. For schools that were going to be a close call admissions-wise, for both sons (who were very good students, but still...), we just flat out asked.  I still remember talking to Stanford Coach Marquess...after 2 hours of mostly him talking, I said, "I have one question - will he get admitted?"  Answer was honest and forthright.  When he later asked for a commitment before the admission decision was 'in,' our answer was, "Once we know he is admitted, we will discuss and get down to business on that."  A few days later, it was all done.  Son was admitted and committed (a little Johnny Cochrane rhyming there - huh?  ).
  3. We did hear language with both boys along the lines of, 'We plan/expect/hope to make you an offer,' but without an offer that day or week or month.  I took it seriously.  I think in most cases, the schools did.  Our younger son's ultimate school made their offer about 2-3 months later.  Didn't bother me.  Him neither, he accepted.  I think its a sign of several things - the 'plan/expect/hope' comment - could be they're still evaluating? Could be they're waiting on someone else to decide?  Could be they're still unsure of how much?  None of that bothered me at all.

I'm a very straightforward person - questions like this - admissions?  We just asked.  I feel like we got honest answers each time.

Last edited by justbaseball