Skip to main content

Reply to "Very confused? please help"

dolphindan:

I have had three sons go through this; it is amazing to me how simple it really is and how little I once knew.

Anyway, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. If he is good enough, you have nothing to worry about.
2. If he is not good enough, you have nothing to worry about.

Either way, you will know soon enough.

The hard part is if he is good enough, at what level? I think that is very, very hard to tell. I believe it's good to reach for the highest level, but that also can bring disappointment because the competition is so tough and there are so many outstanding players and so few positions available (in relative terms).

The best thing you can do, I believe, is create opportunities where he can compete against tough competition under pressure. This will prepare him and also tell you almost everything you need to know. Keep in mind, people sometimes see the answer and don't want to accept it.

Keep in mind, too, down time is important.

If you are in an area with a wealth of talent (California, for instance), your son might have to go elsewhere for the opportunity. Maybe he is willing to do that, maybe not.

And finally, while college baseball is a great experience, college without baseball is also a great experience if you want it to be. If baseball is not ultimately in the cards, it is not the end of the world or, really, that big of a deal.