Skip to main content

Reply to "Very intersting"

quote:
Originally posted by jesse.burkhart:
To anyone who has been through a scout's interview process or is currently going through it:

I'm just curious - what specific questions does a scout ask the player? I figure that the main reason a scout needs to visit a player's home is to determine his signability and administer an eyesight test, but I'm not sure what else is involved.

Our guy was a HS pitcher so it may be different for position players or college players. Most of the general information was given to the scouts via questionnaires that were filled out prior to the visits.

Here is what I would say was the general theme of most of the interviews/meetings he had with the pro scouts:

- how open he was to turning pro out of high school
- how committed he was to his college choice
- medical history (son had minor shoulder issue junior year so they all wanted to see where things stood) It got to the point that we made copies of medical records and gave each team a copy.
- overview of their organization and what he could expect if he signed out of HS.
- shared their viewpoints of the advantages of pro vs. college (how they dealt with a HS players progression into the system)
- most wanted to hear our (parents) feelings about him signing out of high school. They also spent a lot of time reassuring mom that they would take care of him.
- shared an overview of the Major League Scholarship Program
- psych test
- wanted a general idea about what it would take to sign (money). Most didn't expect a hard number during the first visit however they all said they would need a figure at least 2 to 3 weeks before the draft.
- if he had an advisor
- how to find out when he was pitching. (we set up and email blast to the MLB scouting bureau rep and all the scouts and that wanted to be informed)