Skip to main content

Reply to "VHSL webcasts"

Heels - I got it on the games piece, winning is the goal and teams will try to do that.  I was just putting out there that every game just doesn't have the pressure to win associated with it that the old district setup had for a league where you played 18 of 20 in district.  A bad two weeks and you drop 3 games and it means you probably lose a realistic shot at winning the SED district in the past. So while the games won't be throw away the pre conference games do afford more latitude for working in younger players with upside that you hope will help in the big games at the end. 

This setup is most teams play 10 or so games until spring break, come back and play 6-8 Conference games and on to the conference tournament.  With the teams being more spread out the demands of the conference tournaments are even less than the old districts. But if the wheel is going to spin repeatedly that doesn't make for any continuity either.  I hope this thing doesn't turn into a bus league where teams will spend 90 minutes on a bus to a game to play 2 hours and then ride back 90 minutes. 

Either way it won't be like it was where the regular season had a ton of weight on it.  All the best teams are likely to reach regional play and as Redbird says there will be good baseball at every level from there.