Skip to main content

Reply to "VHSL webcasts"

Where AGAIN are any published POWER RANKINGS, according to what VHSL says they are Prior to the playoffs starting or even now????

personally I think the right word would be POWER RATINGS, with fractional numerals!!

Please someone?

:
Originally Posted by luv baseball:

Congrats to both WB and Hickory and those GB softballers for repeating.

So for all those SED people that complained about the state setup for years this might underscore the reason why.  It is likely that Hickory would never have gotten out of the district in the old setup.  They probably would have finished 4th or 5th behind WB, GB, NR and maybe GF.  They would have had to play GF in a 4/5 game and then beat WB just to get a chance to play the winner of NR/GB for the final spot in regionals.  Probably wouldn't have happened.

On the other hand it would have meant that 2 of the 3 between GB, NR and Hickory would have stayed home too.  In a couple of season's no one will remember much what kind of battles there used to be in the old SED because now you play 20 warm ups to play the 8-9 games that matter at the end.  Hickory's win is the first to show that you do not have to be great in the regular season but if you are from May 15 until the end you can win a title. 

I wonder if you'll see coaches looking to use the regular season more like development games and develop that big wild sophomore kid in the bullpen by giving him innings in March and April in the hope he can give you innings on Memorial Day. 

Hold on to your britches!

1) Having experienced the outcome of the "power rankings" system, it will behoove more programs to win each game.  (Perhaps getting your subs a complete game while on Spring Break will be more difficult.)  While the regular season "doesn't mean anything", it kinda does, when it regards Power Rankings.  Inevitably, these new Power Rankings, while needing improvement, are going to play a role in the outcome of the postseason. 

2) I have already heard serious grumblings about continous mobility in the new VHSL alignment system.  While I cannot verify this, I have heard from people who know things, that the Suffolk schools may be in movement in 2015-16.  The new system is structured for such movement every two years.  2015-16 is such a year, so it makes sense.  Just in time for people to begin understanding the new alignment, don't be shocked if the makeup of the various conferences CHANGES AGAIN....and again...and again.  Lakeland HS may be coming to a town near you!  But not near us!