Skip to main content

Reply to "Video Camera"

Hang on! It basically all comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend. I currently have 4 video camcorders. A Sony 60G HDD (DCR-SR82), A Sony MiniDV (DCR-HC36), A Canon XHA1 Mini DV and a Canon HV-30 Mini DV.

1. The Canon Vixia HV-30 is a great camcorder would do everything you want --- and more. This is a slick camcorder! I highly recommend it. Great quality, very portable, and easy to use. Multiple ways to connect this to TVs and computers is great. It is a 1080i High Definition camcorder w/HDMI output (hooks directly to a HDMI TV for fantastic quality.) HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface. It also has firewire output which allows you to control the camcorder from the computer when you're downloading video ---- Has USB for quick download of still from the SD card. It takes 3.1 MP stills when used as a still camera or can capture a still photograph from recorded video as you're playing it back. ---- and component output (for hooking up to a analog TV or other device). It also has a mic input in case you wanted to connect an external microphone --- Price comes in around $800 - $900.

My least favorite (I hate it) is the Sony 60G HDD Hard Disk drive. I like Sony but everything about this camcorder is difficult. Has NO viewfinder. That means you have to record while looking at the LCD screen (impossible in bright sun). You have to set it in it's docking station to hook it to anything. Has no outputs. Most controls are done on a touch screen (the LCD). I must have been on something when I bought this! Price varies up to $899.

Inexpensive but easy to operate is the Sony MiniDV DCR HC-36. You can do the basic stuff with this MiniDV camcorder including frame by frame playback. The quality is OK. It is low end but I liked mine and have used it a lot. It does have a viewfinder and a LCD screen but does use the LCD screen as a touch screen during playback which I don't like. It has USB, Firewire, and component out. This is NOT High Definition so don't expect ohhhhh and ahhhhhs from your videos. Price comes in around I would guess $250-$300.

XHA1 is my constant companion. Lots of bells and whistles. Too many options to list. Comes it at about $3,000 to $4,500

I don't like HDD Camcorders, DVD or Memory camcorders. Here's why: MiniDV quality is better because of the low level of compression. This sets the MiniDV format apart from DVD camcorders and other media options, which employ a much higher compression level and thus produce a lower video quality. Check out cnet for their reviews of camcorders. I find their site very helpful when trying to evaluate tech products. cnet
Hope this helps,
Fungo