Skip to main content

Reply to "Villanova"

My son was recruited by them and I know TRHit knows the head coach so PM him regarding the program.

They are not fully funded (at least as of 2010). I believe they had 6 spots, which makes it very difficult for them to compete in the Big East. Their field is not on campus so the team has to commute over to it - which is another disadvantage. The school is obviously excellent academically, but has the reputation of being “vanilla nova”. You can come to your own conclusion regarding this after visiting and doing your own research. All sports there take a back seat to basketball of course. With all of the conference gyrations I am not even sure where they are headed actually. This will be a good question to ask, because there are probably funding minimums with certain conferences.

My son really liked Dave Miller the hitting coach, and he was supportive of him playing two ways for them. (RHP/OF also) We did not get to the point of an official visit due to the lack of funding in the program, the distance, the school fit, and the prospect of getting a package that was competitive with what else my son had on the table. It was just not a good fit for him when everything was taken into consideration. It is certainly worth a solid look. My take on them is that it is an excellent school with a mediocre NE baseball program, which is not a necessarily a bad thing, you just need to know what you are getting into. Coaching seems sound from what I could tell. There is a player from our area out here in Cal. that likes it and I talked to his dad about his experience and he was positive.