Skip to main content

Reply to "Villanova"

Everybody knows the academic reputation.

Baseball is not good, but it's not at the ugly level of D1 baseball, it is still competent despite the record. That being said it is clear baseball is an afterthought there.

If you take it for what it is - a solid academic opportunity where you also get to continue playing baseball you won't be disappointed. If you are going there looking to win a conference or develop, probably not the place for you. Recruiting seems to be those fringe D1/HA D3 types, good but under recruited, or private school recruits because they know they have the academic chops. I don't know how much they are funded, but it's not full, I don't think its particularly close either.

Culturally it's not considered a very fun school, basketball games are exciting when they're good, but if your kid is looking for the typical college scene, Villanova is not the place for that. I'm sure being on a team helps a bit with that though.

All in all - it's not going to be a traditional D1 baseball experience. If your son is ok with a strong academic school, a more conservative social scene, and just looking to prolong his baseball career (possibly at a discount) then it's a fine choice. It's similar to non service Patriot League schools which would probably be a more fitting conference if not for Basketball.