Skip to main content

Reply to "visiting schools on one's own nickel"

Chico Escuela posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:

The season has already ended for many HA D3s, and most of the others will finish up this weekend. I would recommend trying to call the coaches. Your son is a RHP, right? That makes it a little easier to get a feel for interest since the velo question is first and foremost. I think the problem is that these coaches don't really know where they stand with their 2020 recruiting class since so much will happen during he coming summer and fall. The straight-shooters will probably tell him that. But I think the best way to get a feel for his chances at any of those schools right now is to have a conversation.

I think that's sound advice, but...  My son has had some good conversations with coaches in person and does all right via email.  But picking up the phone to initiate a call is asking a lot...  It's a life skill he has to learn eventually, but I don't see it happening yet.  (Returning a call, sure.  But that's easier.)  Do you think it's worth emailing along similar lines?  

There's no down-side to the email, I just think he could glean so much more from a brief conversation. If he's willing to do a test run, try roll playing with him on the phone. You can start by making it as easy as possible playing the coach, and leading him through the conversation. If he's ok with returning calls, I would guess that he's half way there.