Skip to main content

Reply to "VT Decommit"

Originally Posted by R.Graham:

Truth is - this comes down to character.  We live in a world that has marginalized character.  We list all the reasons that it's ok to break our word and all the anecdotes that "support" our reasons for breaking our word - but it comes down to the willingness to break our word.  It always boils down to plain old fashioned selfishness (when there is a lack of cause - like a coaching change or academic shortcomings)

Some people (most actually) are comfortable with breaking their word and being that person.  They still think they are a person of character (because cognitive dissonance is a powerful thing) while behaving in a way that is completely in opposition to that reality.  You are the sum of your actions.  I am sure this cut and dry approach makes most people feel uncomfortable and that's fine.

Most people are average or below average in every way.  Character is just one of those ways.

Make a promise - keep a promise. End of story.

If you don't then you need to accept the fact that you are a person who's word is not worth anything and shouldn't be surprised or disappointed when people return the favor.

The staff at VT doesn't deserve this.  They are people of character and they keep their word.  It's unfortunate that not everyone adheres to that same moral compass.

Best post in this thread...I have been following this one at work wondering if anyone was going to take this path.  I will jump on-board with this line of thinking.  I was raised under one very simple philosophy -- live your life with the highest degree of integrity; which includes doing what you say you will do, even if it hurts.  Take a second and reflect about how many times you have asked yourself -- "what is wrong with our society" -- a lack of character, integrity, and strong moral fiber is what it always circles back too.  I say all this with a complete grasp on the reality we don't live in a black and white world and there are times when we have to reverse course.  But I also think those instances are the exception and not the rule.