Skip to main content

Reply to "VT Mason Out"

So, I was talking to my son the other day and threw a scenario at him to try to stimulate his decision making processes for this fall. I expect he will get some interest and just wanted to see what kind of college experience he desires:

Scenario was: You have three offers. One from a D1 program in a D1 Power 5 conference with a losing record for the past few years, one from a small D1 school in a non-Power 5 conference that performs well in their conference and makes the CWS Regionals occasionally, and a top D2 program. What experience is most appealing?

His answer didn't surprise me. He was attracted to the Power-5 conference program based on the baseball facilities, level of competition and potential to be a player who helps to turn the program around. The education at the Power-5 school will be equal to most other schools.

So I guess my point is, at least with my son, a program doesn't have to be a perennial winner to get his attention for baseball, but it has to match his other expectations as well. I can't imagine VT will have a hard time recruiting quality players considering the educations gained there, the conference, the entire college experience.