Skip to main content

Reply to "Waiting on ED........"

Gov posted:
#1 Assistant Coach posted:

JCG: the texted request from HC about uni sizes did prompt a sigh of relief as well, but after that one sigh I put the guard back up!

Not wanting to hijack this informative thread on ED, I’ll chime in elsewhere on son’s experience with labrum surgery, his Medical RS year, his ongoing rehab, and his hopes to pitch in the latter half of 2020 season for his D3 assuming shoulder is where it needs to be.  He reports to D3 in January.   Moving him out of his P5 apartment next weekend.  

Most HA D3s do not offer mid-year transfers.  However a rare few do, with a November 1 application deadline.  I’m still a little foggy on the details, but it appears that recruited athlete transfers are “in” with the ED HS recruits.....sort of?  But also in their own little weird category, as they’re also with regular students looking to transfer in.  Had pre-read, slot, overnight visit, etc. but was clearly in a different “lane” due to being a transfer recruit and not a HS recruit.  The seemingly unconventional nature of son’s application path (as a mid-year athlete transfer) did not help my stress level!  As it seemed he was walking a trail, that was very overgrown, and had very little foot traffic.  The term “bushwhacking” seems appropriate.

Thanks for the well wishes JCG.   

What was the academic requirement?  3.75? No Bs?  That HA D3 is one of the top in the country!! 

Good luck to S!

Gov,

Good questions.  There is no "book" that we found on transferring to a HA.  That was part of the bushwhacking son had to do.  Can't comment on what the academic reqs were for a mid-year RS Freshman/academic sophomore transfer as son had no time to research it.  He told D1 HC he was transferring on Monday, October 28 and deadline for transfer applications for January 2020 enrollment was November 1st, just 4-days later.  Son had FOUR-DAYS to find a new home and submit an application by November 1 deadline.  Otherwise he'd be twiddling his thumbs another season, and there was no way he was going to do that again!

Again, I probably should post a thread on the mid-year transfer journey to HA D3s.  From the day he told HC he was transferring, to the day he was accepted at D3, was 38-days.  Felt like 38-years.

Gunner,

Kudos to you for starting this thread as it was just what I needed to read.  Got some great advice here about dealing with the waiting time for the ED notification.  From what I've read here, I believe your son will be fine.  I say that because it sounds like his academic #s are in line pretty much with what school wants from regular students?  Your gut is probably right.  But I'll be crossing my fingers until you guys get the news you want!

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach