Skip to main content

Reply to "Walk-on Tryout -- any recommendations?"

I guess it can be considered a "checkbox" but I think it's more a school rule than NCAA mandate. You must allow anyone to tryout or you can be open to legal problems. We have kids that can't practice or play on Friday or Saturday for religious reasons. Kids that never played HS ball. Kids that don't own gloves or cleats or kids that just have no clue. They are all welcome because the web site says so. This year we had 62 walk-ons for 4 roster spots. There were about 15 preferred walk-ons. Those were the kids we vetted through their coaches recommendations, had video on or saw live. The rest were a crap shoot with no prior info. Of course we focused on the players we knew, but believe me no one slips by if they have talent. It may seem as though coaches are not paying attention but it takes one swing of a bat to turn heads. You also have the returners giving feedback to the coaches. It's true that the grinders can slip by but they usually are in your face letting you know how they can help. It's not easy but it all starts with the PSA getting some info to the coaching staff. Most of us coaches are honest when we get a text or phone call from a PSA but they really only hear what they want to hear. I always tell them that if they are coming to the school anyway then give it your best shot but if playing ball is the most important thing then you might want to look elsewhere since nothing is guaranteed. If when they contact us and ask the right questions they usually have an idea which way try-outs will go for them.