Skip to main content

Reply to "Walk-up Songs?"

For my son's high school, we talked about the possibility of walkup songs, but came to the conclusion that if it could not be done properly, not to do it at all.

We chose to make a more "comfortable" format that is more in the style and setting of our baseball program. I'll include an example of what we do below:

1 hour of pregame music (usually one of the common themes of country, rock, or mixture of that is fairly family friendly including baseball specific songs).

1) We play the visitors lineup music to the theme of "The Natural".
2) We play during the Umpires meeting at home plate "Back Where I Come From" by Kenny Chesney (since it is the same high school that Kenny graduated from.)
3) We created a two minute audio monologue about the history of the high school baseball team (with background music) that leads into the home team introductions and run out(done to the theme from Air Force One).
4) Play the national anthem (or occasionally have a local singer perfrom).
5) As the home team warms up for the top of the first, we play the bagpipe fight theme from the movie "Braveheart".

As always, we play music in between innings and during any conferences or umpire discussions.

After the game, we play about 20 minutes of music that starts with "Paradise City" and "I'm going home".

Starting this year, we have been asked to start playing before the bottom of the sixth inning "Sweet Caroline" much the same as Boston fans do.

Most of the time, we get compliments from the fans, players, and visiting crowd about how we handle the music and announcing making it more special for everyone involved.