Skip to main content

Reply to "Walks"

roothog66 posted:
FoxDad posted:
Baseballcomesthird posted:

Very curious to see what you all have to say. Is a walk as good/equivalent to a hit?

From a defensive point a view, son's Legion coach was of the opinion walks tend to come back to bite you.  He absolutely hated it when a pitcher gave up a walk.  He'd rather the ball be put in play - at least the defense got a chance to make the out if the batter didn't strike out.

Yeah, but they don't hurt you like a hit. I'd rather my pitcher have a higher walk rate and low OBA than the opposite. With a guy on second, it takes three walks to bring him in, but only one hit.

Yes, a hit has the potential due to more damage - especially if it is a double, triple or HR.  At least the batter earned it and didn't get a free pass from the pitcher.  The batter that drew a walk wouldn't necessarily need 3 more walks to score.  If he can steal 2nd base, now he's in scoring position where a single could score him.  It's hard to score from 1st on a single.

It just seemed when my son was playing legion, that a walk resulted in a series of plays where multiple runs ended up scoring and many times when we looked back at the inning, getting the batter out instead of a free pass would have made a significant difference.