Skip to main content

Reply to "Walks"

roothog66 posted: Your own stat says that 37% of walks and HBP score and that 36% of hits score. What am I missing? I'd also ask, how many of those hits result in rbi and how many of those walks and HBP drive in runs? 

Saying 100% of walks reach base is relevant, how? Are you assuming all of those walks would have otherwise definitely been outs? Plus, if we're simply answering the question asked (what's better - a walk or a hit) from a pitcher's perspective, I'll ask this: Bases loaded and yur only two options are to give up a hit or a walk - which is the better option?

You’re missing that while 100% of all batters that walk reach base, a much much smaller percentage of those that put the ball in play get hits. That’s why it’s always better to pitch to contact.

From the data I can count, of the 693 RBIs, 530 came on hits. 41 came on a walk or HBP. And?

No, I don’t’ assume 100% of the walks would have produced outs. However, I’d bet my house that at least half would have.

If those are the only 2 possibilities, of course I’d choose a walk. But the options shouldn’t be hit or walk, they should be BIP or walk. Then you’d get an entirely different answer.