Skip to main content

Reply to "Walks"

cabbagedad posted:

OB1, I propose to you that you can make zero assumptions regarding your hitters when you are playing opponents that allow for a .900+ OBP.  That is beyond crazy.  Immediately start working on scheduling better opponents.  

I believe I recall you having a team that struggles and in that circumstance, it is OK to put together a manageable schedule with some weaker opponents on it.  But when it reaches that level of bad, no one is benefiting.

Sorry for the diversion on the topic.  But that is CRAZY.

Trust me, I looked at his OBP and it was crazy high, now some of that was two games with light opponents but we are sitting at 3-8 over the season, 2 of those games being weak opponents and all the others serious competition with one “earned” win.

I was praising his patience at the plate and he has fought off full counts to force pitchers to stay in the strike zone, which is why he has the 5K-L. He was one of few players that saw the base path when we faced the #2 Team in the state who had just returned from being consolation winners in the IMG spring break tourney.

Unfortunately, I really can’t coach him too much because his personality and mine are too similar and I’ve had years and the USMC to help me control my attitude...good thing I have a good assistant coach and a dad that helps who he respects. 

He’s just got to gain confidence and go to the plate to hit. He tries to get walked in some aspects: crowding the plate and showing bunt to throw pitchers off. He’s learned the hard way that an umpires strike zone grows after you show bunt so you better slap it if it’s close. It’s better than last year because he averaged being hit at least once per game, most of the time multiple times, which says something about a pitchers accuracy because he’s 6’2”, 140#, you can barely see him from the side. Lol