Skip to main content

Reply to "Was/Is this me (or you)?"

Originally Posted by old_school:
lets face it, baseball is not that complicated it just needs to be clearly taught in a fun way to the young kids!

I couldn't disagree more!  Baseball is complicated.  Ask any high school coach about what the scouts are asking them to do so they can MAKE it a complicated game.  I have heard directly from a coach that he has been asked to purposely sit a player just so the scout could see the kids reaction...what he did with his time...did he pay attention to the game or did he goof off in the dugout.  This coach said you would be amazed what these scouts are looking for, it's not just velocity or hitting, it's what did the kid do with his batting gloves when he got a hit; what did he do doing the long throw warm up (were his throws perfect); what did he do when he arrived in the dugout?

If getting to the next level is the goal then the entire "game" of baseball is complicated.

I would urge any parent who is paying for a lesson to bring your kid, introduce your kid to the coach then sit down and shut up unless asked a direct question.  You are paying them for their knowledge because you don't know how to coach.  If you don't like what they taught then don't bring your kid back.