Skip to main content

Reply to "Was our situation unique?"

Someone correct me if I'm wrong and I can look it up if necessary, but almost positive about this at the D1 level: any academic money or awards counts towards the teams 11.7 scholarships so essentially if the coach gives a "package" of 25% athletic and 25% academic it counts as 50% towards the total schollys of 11.7.

That is why I don't understand everyone talking about the coaches needing your grades to put together a "package" and also another reason I felt the academic piece just didn't matter to them as much. It all counted towards the total scholarships given out anyhow. Yes, they want you to qualify and stay eligible but explain to me how almost all these kids signed NLI's in NOVEMBER of senior season (before senior baseball season in spring) and vast majority of them HADN'T EVEN TAKEN ACT YET, my son included? Yet, these schools signed them.

Not sure what I am missing, seemed to me they recruited kids that could play and fit their needs. If kid didn't qualify, then the money just opened back up and they went after another kid in late spring or summer for that class.

Thanks for all the feedback!