Skip to main content

Reply to "Washington & Lee University (and the Old Dominion Athletic Conference-ODAC)"

I don't have much insight but my son (a 2021 RHP) did receive an "offer" from W&L if he could qualify academically.  Right after our son received the offer from Coach White, my husband and I had a long conversation with him.  I remember the first question we asked him was if he'd seen our son's grades.  He's a good student, just not an A+ student.  Coach White told us that W&L is very holistic and he had a little pull.  He asked us alot of character questions about our son and wanted some specific examples of leadership/non-baseball extracurriculars that he could take to admissions.  He had done some homework because his high school coach received a call from the coach.  But unfortunately, as we suspected, our son's grades weren't quite high enough.

We're in Virginia and W&L is the hardest school to get into in the state of Virginia.  I don't remember if it was when we were talking to Coach White, or during a "virtual" coaches presentation that he participated in, but he said he wanted to make W&L the "Vanderbilt of D3."

I think my son would have gone there if he had been able to get in, but he's landed at a school where I think he'll be very happy and successful and loved - his school waited while he was waiting on the pre-read.