Skip to main content

Reply to "WCAC 2010"

quote:
Originally posted by rhobbs:
nyy27: dblemup is correct. McGee started and threw 4 strong innings. BI had some nice shots, but at people. McGee had his share of Ks. BI did not really threaten him until the 5th. They loaded up the bases with one out. BI #3 hitter Zeigler hit a ground ball up the middle. PVI correctly playing for a DP ground ball so that Veeder, the SS, was right at the bag for a DP. 2 outs, or no one on first, and it is probably a run scoring hit. But not in this situation. McGee escaped serious damage but it was clear he was done. Aker was VERY strong. BI seemed unable to touch him. Ruffin pitched better than the numbers indicated. An error in LF on a routine fly ball got it all started for BI. Once they got something going, they ratched up the heat with solid hitting. Ruffin finally got the final out with two men on. He threw well, kept ball down, but BI's bats were pretty hot in that inning.

McGee, I understand from the PVI folks, is going to Penn State to play. He is sitting at about 85 mph on his fastball but seems to be able to crank it up above that. He is about 6'4" or better, and very strong and solid. Good mechanics, it appears, and seems to have avoided any sort of serious arm problems (unlike Frezza, who, I am told, is out for the year). Penn State will probably have the kid throwing low nineties by spring of 2011. He could become a force with proper work ethic and quality coaching and training.

The Aker kid was impressive. Had to be throwing at least mid-80s. Wicked curveball. Great control. Don't know what his size will end up being--not very big now--but he pitched very well.

Ruffin is big and strong. Unusual delivery but had good control with it. I cannot say why BI hit him so much better than Aker. I think Aker faced 4/5/6. Ruffin faced, if I was counting it right, 7/8/9/1/2/3/4.

Nice coverage there rhobbs. The OF error was a killer. The lights are not good at PVI and causes problems for many. It was real nice to see McGee back to form after struggling against Gonzaga. I also heard he was going to PSU, good for him.

Aker is every bit of 6'1", but is pretty slim, roster says 160. One of the parents said he is only 15, so will probably fill out. He seemed to be hitting his spots that night.
Last edited by dblemup