Skip to main content

Reply to "Wearing wrist bands with signals on them."

2019Dad posted:…Funny story. This past summer my son's travel team played in a high-level tournament on a college campus on the other side of the country. The first game the coaches let the catchers call the pitches. The second catcher of the game came in for the 6th, and my son came in to pitch the 6th and 7th against a good team coached by a well known HSBBW poster. Tight game. The catcher -- who I'm sure never called pitches for his high school -- called 35 fastballs in a row, knee high, outside corner. In between innings my son asked him why he was calling the same pitch over and over, and he apologized but then did the same thing in the 7th. My son shook him off twice in the 7th, so the result was 33 fastballs and 2 breaking balls. For the rest of the tournament the coach called the pitches.

When I hear stories like that, I wonder WTF is wrong with the coach? Unless he’s totally oblivious he had to notice the same pitch being throw every time. If he didn’t call time and have a conference to find out what was going on, he was either not paying attention at all or trying to prove some unknown point. If a coach doesn’t call the same pitch 66 out of 70 times, why on earth wouldn’t he tell the catcher to mix it up a little?

Obviously the 1st catcher did pretty well if it was a tight game in the 6th. Did your son throw all 35 pitches knee high and on the outside corner? It sounds like your son had total control of the pitches thrown, so why didn’t he shake off more pitches?

I’m sorry, but to me it sounds like a who lot of people weren’t doing their jobs very well.