Skip to main content

Reply to "Wearing wrist bands with signals on them."

Stats4Gnats posted:

I’m not trying to say anything different, but I am asking a few questions I’ve never seen answered with anything other than opinion. Is every person calling pitches in the dugout superior to every catcher not being allowed to do it? How is pitch calling superiority measured?  How does a catcher prove he’s ready to call pitches?

I guess superiority could be debated in some cases, but in cases with coaches who have been coaching awhile I would argue that the people in the dugout are going to be "superior" compared to the teenage catcher.

More important to me though is knowledge of opponent and access to information. I'm the head coach. I have a pitching coach who calls pitches. We'll have a chart on every hitter we've faced in district over the last few years. We'll talk about hitters before the game, and have that book on hand throughout the game, charting pitches thrown and results.

It would be extremely rare for a kid to be able to match that, all while dealing with all kinds of other stimuli that he has to process throughout a game, armed only with a teenage brain.