Skip to main content

Reply to "Wearing wrist bands with signals on them."

Stats4Gnats posted:

We’ve gotten to the point where I’m pretty sure you’ll understand something new, so here goes.

The 1st thing I did way try to figger out what you wanted and then come up with a way to get it. What I’ve done is create a table which is made up of rows and columns just like a spreadsheet. I’ll go through it for you now. Many years of playing with baseball data has taught me there are certain things necessary. What I’ve done is defined every column.

Date – Date format – 01/01/2017

You may well ask, “What’s the need for the date”, and all can only say it has more uses than you’d think. I our case it’s the date the game was played, not the date the data gets entered.

Gamenum – numeric (1)

This may be unfamiliar to you, but believe me it’s a necessary evil. The way I use it is to give the 1st game of the day a gamenum of 1, the 2nd 2, etc.. That way the different games can be broken out.

Team – character(15)

Pretty simple. This is your team.

Opp – character(15)

The opponent’s team

Gametype – numeric(1)

This is the type of game it was. Typically it can be a regular season game, a post season game, or a scrimmage game.

Pfname – character(15)

Pitcher’s first name the data is for.

Plname – character(20)

Pitcher’s last name the data is for.

Bpos – Batting position

Bfname – character(15)

Batter’s first name the data is for.

Blname – character(20)

Batter’s last name the data is for.

Firstatbat – logical

If it’s the 1st at bat on an inning, this is true. All others are false.

Count – character(2)

Has to be a numeric character.

Outs – numeric(1)

Runners – numeric(1)

Pitch – numeric(1)

Action – numeric(1)

Result – character(5)

WAB – numeric(3)

That’s the map of 1 record, and there’s a record for every pitch. That likely sounds silly, but bear with me for a while.

Ask any questions you like. Next I’ll go through adding a record using the form.

Sounds good and makes sense.