Skip to main content

Reply to "Weighted Balls Velocity Program"

CoachCavaleaML posted:

Actually Mariano did not use them- outside of doing basic arm circles by holding a weighted ball prior to throwing- that was it. And- for the record- you are missing the point- I am not saying you can not improve velocity with these programs- you can. For me- the problem I have seen with developing power through the arm (especially in young players)- while not focusing on force/ power development through the ground leads to issues when we have players ( a majority) lacking shoulder rotation either internally or externally or both for a lack of total motion. With that said, combined with an upper cross syndrome- this becomes a problem. Increased velocity in general becomes a problem. I am not here to interfere with your business- just to point out the possible effects of increased velocity when combined with sub-par posture (upper cross), decreased shoulder ROM, and the inability to create force through the ground.  I spend most of my time helping players stay healthy and stay on the field. Until you have to speak to a 15 year old player who feels he may never be able to play again because he has arm pain that is making him question his career- you focus more on health and core development principles of performance and rehab to get that kid back on the field- velocity is always second.

+1