Skip to main content

Reply to "Weighted bats"

College ball started for me fifty years ago. I read an article that seemed ahead of its time. Fast twitch was not a term then. But the article explained if you can’t swing a weighted bat the same as your regular bat it’s not going to help reaction time. It also stated any value of swing a weighted bat in the on deck circle is gone by the time you walk to the plate. It all made sense to me.

I used a weighted bat in the on deck circle to stretch out and get loose. I didn’t take any swings with it. I improved by reaction time and bat speed having BP pitchers throw hard from in front of the mound.

When I was in high school Pete Broberg was one of the top pitchers in college. He went straight from college to MLB. I remembered reading some opponent pounded the crap out of him by taking BP from a pitcher in front of the mound  throwing at a required reaction time quicker than Broberg’s pitching. It made sense to me.

When I was in college I would go into the cage at 90 (bringing it in the 70’s) and take swings from 55 feet.

A friend owned a baseball facility. His son was a friend and high school teammate of my son. Without telling my son this story I walked in one day to find them taking BP off Pro Batter at 100 mph. I suggested they program in a few 80 something off speed pitches to keep them honest and not timing the pitch.

Last edited by RJM