Skip to main content

Reply to ""Well-rounded" or a "plus tool".. what's more important?"

SargeEmm posted:
Matt Reiland posted:

6'1", 140lbs - I would advocate for a dedicated strength & conditioning program this winter.  Lots of eating and lifting with someone who knows what they are doing.  Squats, deadlifts, cleans.  Long toss.

Weighed him this afternoon, so now let's make that 137 lbs.  His summer team dedicates a lot to weights & training, so I'm hoping that fits the bill.  But I will definitely put him with someone who knows baseball players needs. 

The problem with my son is gaining weight.  He's a modest eater, but I can't stuff it down him.  He gags on protein shakes... all 173 of them we've tried.  But, we got good advice from his Dr. the other day so I thought I'd pass it along... "Ensure Plus" (8oz 350 calories, 13g protein).  He just started with them, but he likes them easily enough to drink 2 per day.  Any other suggestions for a picky eater trying to gain?

If he likes ensure plus, you can try 2 other things for even more increased calories / protein. First try 2cal. This is an ensure product 480 calories, and (I think) 18g protein. Then with either Ensure plus or 2cal. Add ice cream. That will add even more calorie / protein. 

I work in a retirement village and we do this all the time for elders who do not eat well and either need to gain or stop losing weight. Generally the ice cream addition is a big hit. Even add chocolate syrup or strawberry topping to mix it up, so he won't get flavor fatigue.