Skip to main content

Reply to "Wesleyan University"

PABaseball posted:
JCG posted:

Great post, Chico.  

One quibble, I would edit this sentence: "And if your son is thinking HA D3, then let's face it: he is almost certainly not getting drafted."  to say And if your son is a pitcher who is thinking HA D3, then let's face it: he is almost certainly not getting drafted.  There are always a few drafted, and this year there is talk, at least,  of 2 from 1 conference being drafted in the top 5 rounds.

On the other hand, this: "...students don't really know what college is like, and don't necessarily have a good grasp of what they want. "

...is one of the truest things ever said on this website.

About a dozen D3 players are drafted each year with the overwhelming majority being late blooming pitchers. I would say pitchers are more likely to do be drafted but either way the odds are almost certain. 

And remember:  Getting drafted (while a great accomplishment) usually means going in a later round with a signing bonus that won't pay three months' rent on a small apartment.  For most guys, that is followed by earning less than minimum wage for a few years of long bus rides in the minors--and that's it.  Don't get me wrong--anyone who plays baseball professionally has earned some serious bragging rights, and if my kid ever got the chance after college I would encourage him to go take his shot in MiLB instead of heading directly into life as an office worker.  But "getting drafted" by no means equals big money, or even a living wage.  Very, very few players ought to even consider planning their college careers around baseball, rather than vice versa.