Skip to main content

Reply to "West coast D2 Naia D3"

2020Hopeful posted:
cabbagedad posted:
2020Hopeful posted:

Thanks to you both!  With baseball being significantly stronger in the Pacwest D2 schools over the GSAC NAIA schools, how do the academics compare?  Are there NAIA schools with significantly better academics/reputation that would compensate for the drop in baseball?

If academics are high on the priority and you are obviously targeting California, why are you not looking at the D3 options?  The SCIAC has probably some of the better academic schools when comparing with these other specific conferences and the baseball is better top-to-bottom than the GSAC IMO.

We have looked at D3 and he has some options, but they offer little to no academic money and we do not qualify for any need-based (already submitted FAFSA).  Scholarship offers at D2 and NAIA schools range from about 50%-full tuition, which is a big incentive. 

Got it... figured that might be the case.  So, 50% - full tuition... are those actual offers in hand or just what you anticipate as possibility? 

Many schools in those two conferences have a religious slant... somewhere between moderate and heavy.  That will be significant in the decision process.  Most will have small class sizes with good access to academic support (professor availability, tutors, etc.).  I'm sure I'm gonna screw this up but, from arms length, most don't have particularly strong reps as high academic schools - still, some certainly better than others.  I think Menlo has some pretty strong ties for business majors.  Academy of Art obviously has specialty niche and is in SF if that is the desired career path.  Others can offer much better info regarding specific academic strengths at each.  Now that we're past the conference comparisons, you really probably need to list the specific schools you are considering.  It would also help to know if there is a preference to specific major/s.