Skip to main content

Reply to "What a coach just told my son he looks for"

I'm more inclined to view this closer to Justbaseball. While all those things or suggestions regarding player make up are great.....My experience is that no amount of hustle or pre game routine will make up for a position player that can't hit. Or a pitcher that can't pitch.

My experience is that college recruiters primarily look for and value only a few simple things:

Pitchers- VELO / Body size

Hitters - Do they hit the ball HARD/ Body size + 60 speed.

I'm not suggesting that hustle, punctuality, well dressed and all that are not important. Those things are just WAY down the list. And I would argue that after the skill set the players grades and test scores are probably the most important secondaries...... A D-1 HC told me "The grades tell you the whole story"

For me the bottom line is that no amount of 'Good Citizen' type baseball behavior will secure an NCAA roster spot without an outstanding skill set. And conversely, if a kid doesn't have the best attitude or hustle and isn't a great student. But is a 6'3 RHP throwing 94 mph + he will not only get a NCAA roster spot, the recruiting coordinators will be lined up around the block 2 dozen deep to give it to him.

Last edited by StrainedOblique