Skip to main content

Reply to "What age is too young for showcase & camps?"

Thanks Fillsfan,
I agree with you 100%. Wanna get a few things straight here before I bail out of this.
1. We do have plans for Marietta. The kids smart and as an agenda of places and things he wants to do that is one. He's been playing Miami/Dade for 5 years now, great training ground.
2. The 8th grade thing keeps getting thrown out there. If anyone would read as I wrote, the SMALL little showcase camps that I am allowing him to participate will be this summer. Closer to entering High School and 2 of them after he turns 15. They are very small, probably money makers, but if its on a couple hundred bucks, I can afford it, he wants to try a couple, whats the big deal.
3. I was skeptical about posting this, as I said earlier, the times and numbers were posted to show this player has some credibility. He's not a rec ball player with a Dad with big dreams. We have had pop times checked & rechecked in the past weeks games. I didnt believe them myself. It wasnt really the topic. If you dont think they are correct thats ok, thats up to you. Not going to try and prove anything here. It cant be done on internet. Question was "How young is too young" for an above average player to compete and show his skills at showcases.
4. The post was made before we made the decision to allow this. Decision was never going to be based on just a chat boards influence, it was made based on what he wants to do, what we thought would be ok and opinions from others, college coaches, high school coaches and some here.

Some of these assumptions are way off, the one thing is, it wont do him any good but satisfy his thirst to challange himself. Which he likes to do. He has played up his whole life. 3 rinky dink showcases 1 just before he turns 15 and the other 2 after, isnt doing any harm. Probably good so a player gets to see how they work.