Skip to main content

Reply to "What are my chances?"

quote:
Originally posted by fanofgame:
yeah maybe it is just an excuse. maybe he just doesnt have the skills to play at a D1. I guess time will tell.but lots of other opportunities are beginning to open up so at least he is playing college baseball.

fan, while, personally, I find all the "chatter" on the HSBBW about DI to be pretty hard to take any more, I do want to emphasize that a DI coach talking about the "size" it takes to succeed is likely making an excuse. But that coaches comments should not be confused with the "talent" it takes to succeed in college baseball and beyond.
Sometimes I think we, as parents, talk to a coach and take as true what they say. One thing we learned for sure is that when it comes to recruiting and talent evaluation, college recruiting coordinators make mistakes all the time in terms of overestimating and underestimating.
BTW, I know your son is focused on DI but, for whatever it is worth, the DIII that our son attended just posted a nice article on their baseball site.
Since 2001, the current coaches have placed 7 of their recruited players in professional baseball through the draft or free agency. Personally, I know that is on par with some DI programs in Northern CA.
Just because the information comes from a DI coach doesn't mean it is good information, when it relates to talent.
Last edited by infielddad