Skip to main content

Reply to "What are your players swinging?"

First, I want to be clear I’m not mocking the original post. It is interesting to see player’s bat preference. But, don’t get caught up in it. I shake my head when I hear a kid had problems in a game because he didn’t have his bat.

I was playing college ball when metal bats became available. They were terrible. Players didn’t have individual bats. Players used whatever wood bats were in the bat bag. Someone else broke the bat you liked? Tough luck until it’s replaced.

When I was younger in pick up games we used whatever bat we had that wasn’t broken. Sometimes they had nails and tape holding them together until the next time someone’s dad got them to the local mom and pop sporting goods store. If the bat was too big and too heavy … not uncommon if you were the little kid good enough to play with the bigger kids … you choked up as much as necessary. I didn’t develop bat drag sometimes using a bat that was too heavy. I got stronger and quicker.

In middle school and high school my son used EXOgrids. He liked them because they seemed to have the same balance as the LS Model 243 wood bats he used in the summer. If there was a bat he really didn’t like it was DeMarinis.

Then, he got to college ball. Guess what is the most used bat in college ball. A player can’t use something other than what is provided. There are big money endorsement deals on the table at major universities. My son started using DeMarini bats and never gave it another thought.