Skip to main content

Reply to "What challenges did your son have going to the BIG field?"

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:
Originally Posted by Dadofa17:
Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

My son will be transitioning to the "BIG FIELD" (60x90) in a couple of months, can anyone recall the challenges your own child faced when he got to the big field?  Anything that seemed particularly difficult in general for the players? 

I imagine going from a drop 10 to a drop 3 bat will cause some issues, as well as the pitchers getting the ball over home plate, and catcher throw downs to second might be more of a "pick" situation than a good throw.

Anyone want to share?  Any situation where you remember saying to yourself "That will get better once they get more time on the "BIG FIELD"?

If he can swing it, your son should be using a drop 5 this summer.  Going for a drop 10 to a drop 3 is big.  At least go to a drop 8.  As a catcher (I know your son is one), the trow is longer, but the baserunner has further to run also.  An accurate throw is more important then a fast throw.  

It is a very long story but sadly my son is not "allowed" to swing anything but a drop 10 in practice or on the field...seriously don't even get me started.  For right now he is a line drive kid who hits middle or away because those are the only hits guaranteed to keep you in the line up...again, don't get me started.

I figure he is going to have about 2 weeks to acclimate from a 50x70 field swinging a drop 10 to a 60x90 field using a drop 3.  As for catching...another topic that's complicated but at this point it's hard to say if I would classify him as a pitcher or a catcher...either way he has a very hard throw and I'm hoping he can hold his own on the big field.

If your kid is 12, why would he have to start using -3?  He should be using a -8 to -5 right now.  Once he is 14, he can start going from -5 to -3 and be ready for HS. 

As for the "big field" I would add that it is important for the players to keep their throws DOWN.  As they try to throw it farther, they tend to throw it higher and over the target.  No Rainbows.