Skip to main content

Reply to "What challenges did your son have going to the BIG field?"

Originally Posted by 2020dad:
In wisconsin we go directly from 50/70 at 12 to 60/90 at 13.  It is a complete game changer.  But we played 54/80 in illinois this weekend and one of our pitchers got hit by a vicious line drive.  Hit him in the chest but more by the shoulder.  Inches from heart or head.  All of the sudden that 60/90 diamond was looking pretty good to we dads of pitchers.  And as I have said on here before it is an absolute shame (and sham) that all levels don't use wood or bbcor.  Money makes the world go round and trumps our kids safety.  Sickening.

I hope he is ok. That's scary. As soon as we hit 13u I had my son and several others go to BBCOR. Many were ready. Some not. They would be hitting it the next season and middle school (IESA) requires the -3.  I was still astonished how many teams were hitting the -10+. Even at 14U many "bigger" teams were with the -5. We were In a 13u tourney in  JTown and there were no bat restrictions in the rules.  Many were still using the illegal 2 3/4 barrel bats. I was very concerned, asked the tournament director about it and she responded "well the travel league were affiliated with didn't enforce the USSSA rule yet"   So we got out of there and I never went back.