Skip to main content

Reply to "What challenges did your son have going to the BIG field?"

Originally Posted by bballdad2016:
Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:
Originally Posted by Smitty28:
Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

The entire conversation I had with him could pretty much be boiled down to me saying "Is it my imagination or do you throw harder in your pitching lessons?"  His response was "No, it's not your imagination *insert catcher name* already has to tape his wrist and thumb to catch me, he's only 85 pounds, the last time I threw really hard at him it knocked him over and the ball hurt his hand so bad he couldn't catch for a week, since then I just throw about 75%, it's no big deal, it's easier to control the pitches when I throw slower anyway."

CaCO3,

you've made reference to this sort of things multiple times (including hit batted balls hurting fielders).  Perhaps he should be playing at a higher level with better ball players.  You won't see this a majors level for his age group.

I agree Smitty28, jumping him from 12u to 14u next year to try to fix this problem...I didn't know it was a problem when he began 12u.  Hence all my questions about the 60x90 field since he will be jumping from 50x70 to 60x90.

I thought you mentioned that his 12u coach is skipping 13 and going strait to 14u?  Also meant to ask you why your 12u coach only allows your son to use a -10?

No, current coach is not skipping 13u, 80% of the team are 2021's, 13u is appropriate for them.

Coach only allows a drop 10 because...well I don't know, coaches decision, he's a bat purist...I have no idea.  It did come up one day and I asked and he said "nah, I like him swinging the bat he's got".