Skip to main content

Reply to "What criteria are you looking for in a Summer team (Pre-HS)"

Originally Posted by joes87:
Originally Posted by BaseballChauffeur:

Since your son has been playing for a while, you have probably played some good teams from the area.  Has he said "wow, that so and so team is good, I'd like to play with them."?  Also, certain organizations will provide teams at all age levels.  At the younger age levels the dad's are usually still the coaches, then at 15 and sometimes 16 they start consolidating the number of teams and former MiLB and MLB players take over the coaching. 

Don't worry about exposure yet.  Make sure he has fun and continues to improve his game.  The others already gave good lists of questions and items to look for.

While I agree with you to not worry about getting exposure yet, I also think you need to look at the long term plans of the organization you son is going to.  If you plan to be playing there at 16U and 17U them you should try to understand what the organization does with the kids at this age.  Do they strictly play tourneys?  Do they run "private" showcases for their kids? Do they play in an association that works to bring in the college guys?

Exposure is not going to happen at 14U or even 15U.  A little at 16U and takes off at 17U.  If your looking strictly for a 14U team then I would be most concerned about playing time against appropriate competition.  If your looking at the program for the long term then you need to understand what happens with the HS kids.

Right, and I think we're on the same page...I believe that being with a good organization at 14 is the way to go vs. a different team that falls apart every year and leaves you scrambling looking for a new team. That way you know what the plan is going forward and what the organization can do to help with the process.