Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you do?"

Coach May,

I have looked at your posts in the past and have great admiration for your approach to baseball and the kids. You always seam to have a sound opinion on most of the subjects. This one may be a little off. I am all for discipline, mental & physical resolve and toughness, but 5 miles after each loss is absolutely pathetic. I ran track (sprinter) in the off season ( I was a D1 football player) and I can tell you that even the long distance guys rarely ran 5 miles. 5 miles is a long *** haul. Second, in terms of baseball, I don't see how the looming notion of running after a loss is going to loosen the kids up on the field to play carefree, errorless and with a little swagger. Lastly, baseball is a power/explosion sport. The last thing a team needs is to run 5 miles. If he wants to discipline them, have the boys run 60's or gassers, but not until you puke. Again, I have a lot of admiration for your knowledge and I understand what you are getting at, but I just see it a little differently on this one. Just my opinion.