Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you do?"

While I wouldn't call running 5 miles as punishment, abusive, this is no way gonna work on a bunch of HS ballplayers to establish authority. These kids aren't stupid. That's why a chucklehead coach like this loses his players respect. Once you get to that point, the team is toast. HS coaching is key at the varsity level to winning in HS because how many times have you seeen a clueless HS coach get his hands on a team who did great all summer and he can't get the same team to play .500 ball in the HS season.

I've seen things like coaches NOT putting their players in the best position to succeed. From that you get sloppy play, the coaches start ranting and raving, the losses pile up and the players tune out the head coach because he's got them doing dopey punishment cross-country runs and berating them on the field.

If the coach has players with attitude problems, then the coach has issues himself for allowing that to fester in the first place. This is where a coach has to get tough and make tough decisions if the player's attitude don't improve. A good coach will know how to deal with rotten apples.

A coach worth his salt can take avarage talent, instill good habits and knows how to put players in the best possible place so that they're successful and at least play hard, smart and competitive basball which translates into wins. while a chucklehead coach can take a talented team and drag it down a few notches with their genius coaching methods.

I'm not saying it's all the coach's fault and ultimately, it's up to the players to play the game the right and have good attitudes and all, but a HS varsity HC has a lot of authority over these players and can mold them into the type of players they want to make them.

As for the players suggesting to shut up and tough it out, I agree with that. It's all the player can do. The other option is up and quit the team. For these players, the summer season can't come fast enough.
Last edited by zombywoof