Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you remember about your first baseball coach?"

13 first year out of LL, first year Dad not coaching would have been 1981. There was a tree beyond the fence in right field it was maybe 500 or so feet from home plate. Mental errors, lack attention, stupid kid horseplay immediately resulted in going to see Charlie...coach named the tree Charlie!! He expected full dead sprint immediately from the location you currently were standing at. Didn't matter if you were in Right field or 3rd base you best be up and moving ASAP. And if he wasn't happy with the sprint you got to do it again. The man was prick tyrant but also one hell of a baseball coach, I was probably lucky to have even though i hated him every moment I was around him, which was 13 to 15u. He was a D3 college baseball coach and very successful one in the spring. Ended up being AD at the school and has a field named after him.

I had the good fortune this past summer to reconnect with my HS basketball coach. I hadn't spoken to him literally in 30 years. As we caught up with each other i told him he was the most influential figure in my professional life outside of my father. He was stunned, the man was Social Studies teacher who used to have a TV reserved for his classroom for Thursday and Friday of NCAA tourney hoops and would issues passes to Varsity basketball athletes he liked to visit. It was a right of passage to get the pass...he asked how why. I told him i learned what and how it is to be a part of team / family from him, I wasn't a star in hoops, i did the little nasty stuff and was happy to get 10 minutes a night to do it while giving a real player a breather. But I never doubted my value or worth to the team and he created an environment where we would have killed if he needed us to.

I have used that to build employee loyalty and buyin...certainly not to the same level but the process is similar and commitment to the team is the same, the money part gives me a little extra ability to stroke the guys i need to! Ultimately they are about the same and both have treated me well.