Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you remember about your first baseball coach?"

Interesting thread Smoke.

Don't remember much at 8 years old (3rd grade), probably because there wasn't much to remember.   My parents had moved from New England to Toledo, OH as my Dad got a promotion.   We would move back to New England when I was 10 years old when he got promoted again....praise the Lord!  I don't recall my parents coming to many of my games as I could ride my bike to the field and I had two younger brothers.

1) When we won the League championship (still have the 1970 plaque in the attic for some reason) I remember the Coach taking us to Dairy Queen.  I had a banana split. This is probably my foremost memory of my first coach at 8 years old.

2) I wanted to catch but the coach wouldn't let me practice or play behind the plate.  The coaches son was the catcher.  Back in those days, coaches put the chubby kid behind the plate.  He fit the catcher profile of the Bad News Bears or Sandlot movie character actors.

3) I was number 9 because I played right field until they discovered I could throw the ball well and pitch better than most of my teammates.

4) Or I was number 9 because I batted 9th.  At that age, I couldn't hit probably because I couldn't swing the bat.  I'd figure it out a couple years later.